September 26, 2012

Living room shuffle. Again.

An Autumn Greeting
"Come," said the Wind to the Leaves one day.
"Come over the meadow and we will play.
Put on your dresses of red and gold.
For summer is gone and the days grow cold."
author unknown              

This is my first official post in fall! For me fall has always brought a promise of new beginnings and a fresh start, more than any other time of year. And as we are pulling out our warmer clothes to dress more appropriately for the brisker days, our home, too, has been redressed.

The item that got the ball rolling was a large area rug that I have imagined in my dreams but didn't think I'd ever find at an affordable price. A few days ago I found a beautiful Kipling area rug at the Goodwill that is right up the street. This was a lucky find - I always take a peek at the rugs and before now there's been nothing even remotely appealing to me. It's roughly 6.5' x 9.5' and just the change I have been looking for to spruce up the living room. The $20 price tag sealed the deal and it took the place of our previous braided area rug, (smaller), just beautifully.
*To see pictures of our living room previously, please see the Our Home link to the left which will lead you to a photo album tour*
 
For giggles, I checked the price of Kipling area rugs in this size online, and they retail for roughly $750. $750!!!!! This gorgeous $20 thrift find is a wicked steal!
 
I love how the accents of olive green, dusty coral, navy blue and flecks of gold work to 'ground' my very light and neutral living room. The large allover pattern is also appealing as my slip covered sofa and chairs are solid white.

{I have an idea for rearranging the seating soon, but it requires large muscles, (Matt), to carry up a heavy chest I have down in the basement. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!)
 
Another fun little switcharoo was with my throw pillows! I feel like I read this all over the place, (and admittedly get tired of seeing it), but it's so true - changing out your decorative pillows is one of the easiest, cheapest, most satisfying updates you can make when you've got the 'itch' for something different.


 I am extremely lucky to have a super duper talented friend who was able to take some fun fabric finds and turn them into pillow covers! The king size pillow with the faded blue chevron pattern above was previously flour sac fabric that I found in Lititz, PA! The small allover floral 16x16 on the rocking chair below was a sheet I found at Goodwill. Cool, huh!?! I also replaced the thin light green throw blanket I had draped over the chair for a heavier navy wool. This is my morning spot and I definitely love wrapping up in my blanket while I read and drink my coffee. :)
 
*See the end of the post for the contact info of my handy friend, Megen!*


And last, but not least, I'm also a sucker for faux flowers. I have them on every floor of my home. Some faux flowers are more obvious than others so I look with a careful eye when I need something specific. I brought down these deep maroon flowers from our bedroom and switched them with the little white and cream ones we had in this spot by the mirror facing our front entrance.
 
I love the reflection of everyone's hoodies in the mirror. Hoodie weather is my favorite!
 
This is so fun for me - changing things out and getting ready for a new season, (literally and figuratively). I'm not so sure my kids will appreciate the new, larger rug which has swallowed up the cool painters tape car/train track I made for them last weekend.;)
 



 
Oopsie. When they wake up from their naps today we will be learning about rerouting.:)

My beautiful pillow cover maker, Megen, is as talented with her sewing machine as she is at putting together fabrics and patterns. She has an interior design degree from James Madison University and can help you decide on just the perfect fabrics to spruce up your space - then make you some gorgeous pillows that are as unique as they are affordable!

These are actually for Shire's room, but they'll hang out in the living room for now. Megen used the sheet fabric for the back of the king size pillow. Her work is amazing and the covers will surely endure the wear of active little ones :)

 
Megen Minter
 
Thank you for stopping by!
 
~Chelsea

2 comments:

  1. That rug is beautiful and instantly makes the room more homey. And it sectionalizes it, so there's a distinction between living room and the dining area. Great job.

    Hoodie weather is my favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete