July 1, 2013

Home tour

By Chelsea


Welcome to our home! I sure do love a good before and after - of anything - and our house has been a before and after work of love since September 2010 when we moved in. My goal from the beginning for our partial split level outside Washington D.C. has been to create a home that is open and functional for the kids to play and grow, while pleasing my husband's and my edgy and eclectic style. By using a fresh, crisp white canvas with snaps of our favorite colors and unexpected bold patterns, our home has taken on a personality of its own and feels so 'us'. My personal decorating motto is don't take the decorating too seriously! I have taken some fearless leaps of faith while decorating our home and have discovered some fantastic DIY ideas, tips and tricks along the way. It's been an amazingly fun process to put our home together and now it's 100% us!

Thank you for stopping through and I hope you enjoy!

Front of the house before:




Front of the house now:




Back of the house before:



Back of the house now:

Supply list:
Deck built by Avec - local Northern Virginia company that we recommend to anyone! 

Living room before:





Living room now:











  Supply list:
-Seating by IKEA, Ektorp collection. Jennylund chairs refinished, (how-to here)
-Geometric metallic mirror from HomeGoods
-Decorative pillows  I made from Target Threshold placemats
-Industrial floor lamp by HomeGoods
-Black task lamp from Target
-Heart string art homemade, (how-to here)
-Metallic rhino from HomeGoods
-Army cot found and refinished, (how-to here)
-All other pieces found at second hand shops, some kept as-is, some refinished

Dining room before:



Dining room now:

 



Supply list:
-Garner extension dining table from World Market
-Remy gunmetal chairs from Restoration Hardware
-Distressed white oak armchairs found at second hand shop, I refinished in Old White by ASCP
-Chandelier original to the house; I removed the globes and splattered teal paint all over them :)
-Burlap curtains from Simply French Market on Etsy
-China cabinet found at second hand shop, I refinished in Duck Egg by ASCP

Kitchen before:



Kitchen now:




Any Seinfeld fans out there?...

Extra large organization right inside our pantry!

Supply list:
-Refinished the cabinets in Old White by ASCP
-Spray painted the original hardware in flat black by Rustoleum
-Wall color and under the lower cabinets is Spring Mint by Behr
-Pantry is from Walmart which I refinished in Old White by ASCP, (Seinfeld quote stenciled on in French Linen by ASCP)
-Painted flat black panels inside the pantry and keep myself organized with over-scale chalk planners

Basement before:




Basement now:






Supply list:
-Sectional passed down from family
-Ottoman, found for $5, recovered in fabric I found at JoAnns
-Both end tables were thrift store finds that I fixed up
-Sunburst mirror was a DIY using paint sticks

Guest nook












Supply list:
-Bedding from Crate & Barrel 8+ years ago
-Sharpie planked wall, (how-to here)
-Bookcase-turned-sideboard, (how-to here)
-'Macrame' planter using old hammock, (how-to here)

Boys' shared room



 





Supply list:
-Wall color is Marilyn's Dress by Benjamin Moore
-All bedding, including red throws, by Target Threshold
-Rug is actually a Mexican blanket I found at a flea market
-Blue shelves from Lucketts Antique Store
-Curtain: I painted the cabana stripes using Country Grey by ASCP
-Wooden lamp was a DIY using paint sticks, (how-to here)
-Verse on canvas also a DIY; 1 Corinthians 16:13
-Blue Angels flag from my SIL - I faded the color a bit by soaking it in coffee!
-Aviation chart from a flea market
-Wood stained plane art was a DIY, (how-to here)

Our girl's room:




Supply list:
-Wall color is Gallery White by Behr
-Wooden pallet bed frame is homemade (tutorial)
-Aqua bedding from Target, white quilt from Ebay, Blue Mexican blanket from Six and Grand
-Headboard homemade from fabrics used around the room (tutorial)
-Hanging butterflies found at The Dandelion Patch in Vienna, VA
-Hanging white paper lantern, found at second hand shop, originally from IKEA
-Cord hanigng white paper lantern is wrapped in twine - a 3 hour project that was totally worth it
-Step stool painted Duck Egg by ASCP


Master bedroom:












Supply list:
-Wall color is Ultra Pure White by Behr
-Bedding by Target Threshold, (Duvet cover by Bed, Bath and Beyond, accent pillow by Home Goods)
-Corner chair found on side of the road and refinished
-Corner propped door found and refinished
-Clip-on task lamps from Lowes and spray painted gold
-Leaning wall shelves from Amazon, I added the 1/2" plywood inserts
-Floating bedside shelves homemade
-Art flanking the bed: Green flower sketch from a thrift store, "Jars in a row" painted by my Grandma
-Bench at foot of bed passed down and refinished, (how-to here)

If you have questions about anything you've seen please feel free to email me! chelseasgarage@gmail.com

Thank you for stopping through!




5 comments:

  1. Your house looks great! It's amazing what you've done with secondhand finds, hand-me-downs, Target and IKEA! I especially love your living room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your style. It looks very comfy. Where did you get the wall art that is in your girls room? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you so much for your sweet comment! The art in Shire's room is actually painted over canvases that I picked up at IKEA a few years ago! I just followed the flower design that was originally on the canvases in paint colors that went a little better with her room. The tutorial is here: http://chelseasgarage.blogspot.com/2014/02/paint-inside-lines-diy-custom-canvas.html

      Hope that helps! Let me know if you try it - I'd love to see pictures!

      ~Chelsea

      Delete
  3. I love your home tour! I stumbled across your blog via Craigslist (those nesting tables are gorgeous!). I'll have visitors in town, but I'm hoping I can make it out to the Lake Fairfax Flea Market to see your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! Glad to know the Craigslist ad is working. :) If it works out with your schedule I sure hope we can meet in person at the flea market!

      Delete