June 23, 2012

Aged to perfection

Hi! It was my sincere pleasure this week to work on such a fine piece. A thoughtful friend brought this beautiful sideboard over recently that she's had for 15 years! It served its purpose in her home and she was ready to part with it, so I became the lucky beneficiary of this beauty set on original wooden casters. Do you believe in love at first site? I do.:)


For me the highlights of this piece lie in the stunning original hardware, the delicate curves of the legs, the size, and the old casters. I have been searching high and low for old wooden casters so when this piece rolled in I was pretty smitten, to say the least

~After~


{such sweet little casters}

 {beautiful, unique, original hardware can act as an exclamation point to a piece}

 {use a small platter or tray to collect smaller non-like objects to create a cohesive grouping. Thank you to my dear Grandma Livi who entrusted me with this original photograph of her grandfather -my great-great grandfather!}

{I used two colors for this piece. The first: Duck Egg blue by ASCP. The second: A thin layer of French Linen gray, also by ASCP. I used a sanding block to rub down the French Linen so that the Duck Egg could really peek through. I find when I am working with chalk paint that sanding blocks work the best to give me a professionally smooth finish and just the right amount of control when I want to distress certain areas. The last step was sealing it in clear wax which not only protects the piece from staining or scratching, but also highlights the distressed areas making them polished and pop. I adore this piece and every little nick and chip that tell its story.
Soon it will begin a fresh chapter in a new home}

I hope you are having a fantastic weekend out there!

~Chelsea


No comments:

Post a Comment