March 29, 2013

Chic tables from chippy shutters

I never thought I'd do much decorating with shutters. I almost flanked a chippy decorative window once with shutters on either side, but my Mom wisely talked me off the cliff. I was ready with hammer and nail but am so glad I didn't go that far with the country element of styling my home. It was a close encounter, indeed, to committing to a particular style that is just not 'me'. Thank you, Mom :)

So, what then do I do when driving home from an errand with my kids one morning and see a large and neat pile of shutters lying on the side of the road for trash pick-up? I pick them up, of course! This was months and months ago. I wrote a short post about how I used some of them for Christmas decorating, (I stood them up and hung our gold glass balls on them), but then they went back into the garage after the holidays.

Then I discovered that shutters don't have to hung at all...and when nailed together are actually quite supportive little structures. So, I made a couple tables.




Ok, so the piece that I used for the table top is actually a door that we had to remove from another piece! The hardware holes could have been filled in, yes, but I had some beautiful antique hardware hanging out just begging to be used. I love the whisper of elegance they add. So beautiful. 


In order to keep this table made with shutters and a door from looking too whimsical, crafty, or 'country-cupboard', I used one of my all-time favorite color combos: Duck Egg underneath, French Linen on top. Rub that French Linen down and you get the sweetest little peeks of Duck Egg underneath. French Linen is, without a doubt. as beautiful a color as it sounds. Warm and soft, timeless and elegant. A versatile neutral that blends well with crisp white all the way to warm mahogany. I buy can after can and never get tired of popping a fresh one open.



*********************
Here's a sweet little table I shared a peek of in my previous post.


I painted the round tabletop in my new favorite green, Aloe, by Sherwin Williams, (the same color I used for this oval desk). It's a fun little size to move around and play with. Take it outside when entertaining on your porch. Keep fresh bath towels and cloths neatly folded in a bathroom. Top with a simple lamp and make it a bedside table. Or a touch of color for your living room as your home blooms into Spring.


*BOTH PIECES WILL BE AVAILABLE AT MY MAY 4 SALE!*
Saturday, May 4
10am-2pm
Herndon, VA (email me at chelseasgarage@gmail.com for address!

Linked up with:

~Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment