September 6, 2013

Dining Room Makeover, Phases 3 and 4 = Done!

Today's post covers the high and low of painting; literally! Completing our dining room makeover was painting under the chair rail and then our chandelier. I know painting is not that fun of a task for most folks, but once you set aside a morning or afternoon and just dooo iiiit, oh my goodness, the feeling is awesome!

First, here is where we left off with phase 2, (which was replacing the dining set after we sold our old set):

Phase 3: Painting under the chair-rail 

We chose the color Travertine by Valspar at Lowes

I especially love where it meets the soft minty aqua color of our kitchen! So fresh.

After I painted under the chair rail I was a hair away from dancing around our dining room and calling it done. Well, calling it done at least....the dancing part happens daily. Usually when I start getting impatient in my chair waiting for my kiddos to finish a meal.

Anyways, I loved the whole crisp and industrial look we had achieved, but knew I wanted the chandelier to be something funkier than it was....which brings us to Phase 4!

I spent some time researching clever chandelier makeovers since I wanted to keep the perfectly functional one we had rather than buying something else. While I did find lots of really cool before and afters, nothing was really what I was envisioning for our dining room. It needed to be vibrant, off beat, original, and youthful. My husband and I are, (for now), still in our 20s, and I wanted this space to reflect the playfulness of our young family. 

Here is what I came up with: Splattering paint!





This was one of the most fun and easy home projects yet! I climbed onto the table and removed each frosted glass globe from our chandelier. After a good cleaning I turned each one over and placed a bit of blue table over the hole.

Then I filled a cheap spray bottle with my paint and added a tiny bit of water:

Next I just messily sprayed around the globes until they were evenly covered with splattered and drippy paint.

Finished product, finished dining room!


Thank you all for walking through our dining room makeover with me and have a wonderful weekend!

~Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment