April 15, 2013

Primitive lighting - DIY!

Hey all! So far I haven't received any photo submissions to share for the Color my World challenge, so I've cooked up a few things to share of my own.:) If you missed seeing the info for the challenge, please check out this post here and send any photos you'd like to share! I love showing your stuff here and getting inspired by your creativity!

Here is a little switch I made the other day that I am totally digging. I recently replaced a large white hanging lampshade in our living room with a simple aqua mason jar, (given to us by my husband's grandma). This little switch is so much more our style! I'm finding that having even just a few primitive accents or pieces around our home can swing the feel just enough to the right side of rustic. Our whole home doesn't have to be committed to the rustic, vintage style to have enough of that cozy feel. There's a balance that I so enjoy when I look around our home. Lighting is an excellent, (and noncommittal), way to totally shake things up!

By day...
 




 Just realized one of my little squirts switched that chair cushion, zipper side out.

By night...




This was such an easy switcheroo! I just used a hammer and large nail to create a hole big enough in the lid for the base of the light bulb to fit through. Then made two small holes on either side to release heat.

Regular bulbs were way too bright for this look, so I went online in search of the Edison bulb, a modern take on the original light bulb. Seemed a perfect pairing for this primitive, industrial light fixture. Timberson is an Etsy shop that sells a brand new 3-pack of 40 watt Edison bulbs for the same price you would pay for one at Restoration Hardware. How cool is that?! Check them out for more vintage lighting!

And in preparation for the MAY 4 SALE I made this to help illuminate our garage while guests hunt for treasure:

With a $3.50 gold lamp from the thrift store and a leftover can of black spray paint, I made my own sleek, industrial light fixture. I think it will fit right in with the decor on sale day.....you'll have to come by and take a look for yourself!



~You, (and your bffs), are invited to the Chelsea's Garage Spring Sale!~

Saturday, May 4
10am-2pm
Herndon, VA
(contact me at chelseasgarage@gmail.com for the address)

What you can expect: 
Complimentary refreshments
Norah Jones, (probably not in person, but I'll work on it)
One, two, or three of my children making an appearance if you're lucky
My husband making an appearance if you're really lucky
Oh yes, and lots of gorgeous, one-of-a-kind pieces all ready for a good home

Thank you so much for reading!

~Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment