June 25, 2013

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint meets Mad Men

You can take the piece out of the era but you can't take the era out of the piece!


I acquired this lovely thing when a client dropped off it's 'big sister' to be refinished as part of a custom order, (pictures to come). This dresser was no longer needed so I asked if I could have it; I don't think I've ever been so excited about a transformation! (I say that, but it's truly how I get about most pieces I'm about to refinish)




I knew I wanted to keep the body and drawers of the piece neutral and distressed and let those stunning old brass pulls take the stage, but the apron and legs underneath - so mod, right?! - I was really stumped about what color to use. I almost went with Greek Blue by ASCP; it would have been a beautiful contrast and fun snap of color. But, in the end I really wanted to keep the piece classic and elegant and chose a soft grey - there's plenty of fun in the shape as it is!






{This piece is available for sale. $300 Email if interested!}

The low down:
-Piece painted in Old White by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (two coats)
-Lower apron and legs painted in Paris Grey by ASCP
-Distressed using medium grit sanding sponge, (my favorite distressing tool)
-Sealed on clear soft wax by ASCP
-Original drawer pulls kept in tact

~ Gettin' groovy Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment