May 16, 2014

Spring fresh bedroom {Master bedroom update}

By Chelsea


Hi friends! Sometimes the most impactful improvements to a room can be made using simple supplies and items from elsewhere in the home, (as demonstrated yesterday with our new and improved guest nook). This point is further made in our refreshed bedroom and I feel a renewed sense of peace and calm in our quiet little 'sanctuary'. Our bedroom wasn't begging for improvement, but it felt tired and over reaching for a direction that it just wasn't hitting. It's a new season, in so many ways, so I just thought "why not?!" and decided to go for it. :)


Here's a flashback of our bedroom before, (in a hand-picked grey that turned out quite baby blue):

The white paint came out last week. I rolled our walls in the same Ultra Pure White by Behr that's on every other wall in our house, (except for the littles' rooms). I always love a fresh white canvas to begin with. It's my favorite starting point, (which I wish I had known about myself before we painted over the builder grade yellow in a dusty blue which was supposed to look grey).

Other changes: I reattached our headboard. Did I ever tell you that my great-great grandmother and great-uncle were actually BORN in this bed? Incredible isn't it?! I also replaced the lamps with gold spray-painted clip-on task lights. One less pillow on the bed. Lighter throw blanket. Art flanking the bed. There's more, let's move on. :)



Coming up I'm gonna show you how easy it is to hang art with this sissal rope. I LOVE the height and interest it adds to the wall without being in-your-face. Just love it.


And something awesome happened to our leaning shelves, too. We're gonna be hitting that soon as well.


That tall leaning panel I found at the Luckett's Spring Market last year got a new coat of paint, (custom aqua using Duck Egg and Old White by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). The chair seat got a fresh white cover using the same white denim I used for the bench at the foot of the bed.






This hits the mark. As I mentioned, toning down the colors to a calming white canvas, and then incorporating smaller doses of color and natural elements is my personal winning look. It's what my eyes are drawn to and when I feel the most relaxed. What about you? What design elements are you the most drawn to in a room?

Thank you for stopping by! And don't forget to pay Cate and me a visit at our ridiculously awesome garage sale happening on SATURDAY, JUNE 7! 9am-3pm, unique refinished pieces, refreshments available, awesome people. Contact me for the address - located in Herndon, VA!

Happy weekend, friends!

~Chelsea




No comments:

Post a Comment